Youth Program Coordinator
The primary responsibility of the Youth Program Coordinator (Program Coordinator I) is to provide leadership to the Extension Youth Program efforts in three areas: Summit County 4-H team coordination, adult and youth volunteer development (recruitment, orientation, training and support), and seeking donations (financial and in kind). Extension’s signature youth program is the 4-H Club, additional programs include but are not limited to: educator training, school enrichment, camps, and teen leadership. This position will work closely with teen and adult volunteers/mentors, provide volunteer training, and oversight, and build the overall capacity to meet community needs and statewide priorities. This is a full-time position with full benefits in Coalville, UT. USU Extension Youth Programs focus on the areas of: STEM, Agriculture, Healthy Living, Civic Engagement and Communicative/Expressive Arts.
The finalist will be subject to a Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation and FBI Background Check performed as part of the hiring process.
• Provide leadership for the 4-H Youth Development Team in Summit County, by holding staff meetings, oversee marketing plan/communication, and be in direct contact with the Summit County Extension Office and County Director.
• Advance the 4-H program in the county by recruiting and training youth and volunteers to organize and join 4-H Clubs. Provide support and guidance to existing and new volunteers and 4-H clubs.
• Be an active member of the USU Youth Programs Team, working with program leader, which includes participating in meetings, serving on working groups, and assisting at regional and state events.
• Promote Regional and State 4-H programs. This may include marketing, registering, and supporting volunteers in facilitating opportunities.
• Manage 4-H related budgets, allocating responsibility to 4-H team members as appropriate.
• This position will focus on the implementation of the Utah 4-H iSEE outreach program.
• Coordinate the 4-H Youth and Volunteer Awards and Recognition efforts for the county.
• Coordinate the 4-H section of the Summit County Fair.
• Support a variety of Extension outreach activities that may include school enrichment activities such as Farm Field Day, Career Days etc., educator trainings, camps and teen leadership programs, day camps etc.
• Respond to requests, office visits, telephone calls, emails, and other correspondence promptly and professionally.
• Support the efforts of the 4-H Teen Leadership Program and Horse and Livestock Program in Summit County.
• Seek external donations to support the USU Extension Youth Programs.
• Support the Civil Rights mandate of Utah State University Extension and implement innovative approaches to reach diverse audiences.
• Assist with other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree (or working towards a degree) in Family and Consumer Sciences, Human Development, Agriculture, Youth Development or other related field OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with recruiting, supervising, and working with volunteers.
• Ability to work nights and weekends.
• Ability to travel throughout area of responsibility, occasional statewide, consistent with university policy.
• Employment with 4-H or other youth serving organizations.
• Experience managing other employees.
• Experience managing budgets.
• Experience with youth and adult education.
• Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish.
• Experience working with low income, diverse, and under-served audiences.
• Knowledge of the Land Grant University system.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong leadership skills.
• Ability to provide leadership to coworkers and provide guidance with different programs.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to teach, manage and engage an audience (youth and adult).
• Strong computer and technology skills – Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
• Ability to market USU Extension youth program events and opportunities.
• Ability to effectively utilize social media to raise awareness of opportunities.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to pleasantly interact with a wide variety of individuals.
• Strong organizational, time, and project management skills.